This is originally a Filipino chicken recipe for popcorn chicken, which is super delicious and yummy. Basically, chicken popcorn or popcorn chicken are small slices of chicken that are deep fried until it turns light to medium brown coating with flour. You must love to eat it but this is definitely kid favorite that goes well with most sinking sauces. We’re talking about sinking sauce where some of the favorites go well with this are honey mustard, barbecue, sour and sweet, and ranch. This easy Filipino chicken recipe of popcorn is fairly the simplest recipe that you can make it at your home. The recipe we have listed below is must be enough to entertain your full family along with friends as well.
Besides, the secret for a good popcorn chicken has somewhat to do with the coating, oil’s heat, and time of the frying. If you double coat the chicken in all-purpose flour, the taste will be double as well. This method will help to develop the popcorn-like appearance after frying where the temperature of the oil should not be excessively hot. So, let us describe what you need to prepare this Filipino chicken recipe and how to do it.
Prep time: 12 mins
Cook time: 5 mins
Total time: 17 mins
What You Need for Filipino Chicken Recipe
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 lb. boneless chicken breast, sliced into cubes
- 3 to 4 cups cooking oil
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon paprika (optional)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
How to Make the Filipino Chicken Recipe
- Take a bowl to put the chicken in a bowl and add garlic powder, salt, ground black pepper, and paprika. Then, mix them well. Keep the chicken for 10 minutes for absorption as the seasonings time.
- In the meantime, crack 2 eggs in a bowl so that you can beat them.
- Take flour in a bowl and arrange with the bowl of beaten egg and then the one the marinated chicken breasts.
- Use a cooking pot and heat the oil to 300 degrees F.
- Dip every piece of chicken in beaten egg, and then dredge in flour so that you can ensure the chicken gets coated with flour all over. Then, put in a clean bowl or plate.
- By repeating the previous step, double coat the chicken (dips in egg again and then dredges in flour).
- Now, you have to deep fry every coated chicken piece for either 3 to 5 minutes or until light to medium brown. Finally, remove from the pot and allow the excess oil drip.
- Keep them on a serving plate with your favorite dip. We suggest that you serve this with ranch.