The Cuban-style chicken picadillo recipe is a slow cooker dish that comes with flavoring spices. It’s the perfect alternative to the recipe for the traditional Mexican chili. Chicken Picadillo is an easy and healthy dinner everyone loves because it makes a double batch and freezes half for next week. This is picadillo that’s available with a lot of variations, such as Puerto Rican, Mexican, and of course, Cuban versions. Some people cook it with potatoes, some other with so many raisins and some even put carrots in.
Both are really tasty because January makes think us about how we can slash calories but not slash flavor. As a result, you can try this Cuban-style chicken picadillo version. In case, if you’re not familiar with Picadillo here’s a brief about it. Since it’s a conventional meat dish in the most countries of the Latin American as well as Spain, but the ingredients do vary from one region to another. Besides, it’s also made with chopped tomatoes, ground beef, and various regional ingredients rarely. The final result is flavorful, so fantastic and a bit less oily and fatty. All of your family members must love this awesome cooking recipe so much.
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 6 hours
What Ingredients You Need
- 2 cups (500 ml) onion(s), diced
- 2cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) extra lean ground chicken
- 2 1/2 tbsp (40 ml) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cinnamon
- 2 tsp (10 ml) cumin, ground
- 1 tsp (5 ml) black pepper
- 1green pepper(s)
- 2white potatoes
- 1can canned black beans, drained
- 2 tsp (10 ml) oregano, dried
- 1can canned diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) demerara brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) red wine
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chicken broth
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) green olives, when they are sliced
- 1 cup (250 ml) white rice, dry
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) seedless raisins
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) cilantro, when they are fresh, chopped
How to Cook
- At first, take a non-stick skillet so that you can sauté ground chicken, minced garlic, and diced onion with seasonings. Break up meat while using the back of a spoon and continue cooking until browned and no pink remains.
- Meanwhile, dice potatoes and green pepper.
- Then, you have to drain and rinse canned beans using cold water.
- Now, add these along with remaining ingredients, without rice, to slow cooker.
- Mix them well. cook while covering on low heat either for 4-6 hours or high for 2 hours until mixture is hot and bubbling.
- You have to cook rice according to directions on the package and decorate with chopped cilantro.